Friday, October 05, 2012

The Burgundy that I Buy Every Year

My oldest daughter was born almost six years ago. When my then-wife was approaching the end of the second trimester of her pregnancy, we decided to take a trip to France, to Burgundy. Before leaving I asked David Lillie at Chambers Street if he could recommend any producers we should visit. He generously set us up with Jeanne-Marie de Champs, a Burdgundian who has been in the wine trade for quite some time. She took us to visit several producers, one of whom was Jean Lafouge.

We were completely charmed by the Lafouge visit. Everything was right - Jean and his son Gilles, the relaxed way they welcomed us to their work and their wines, the cellars, the house, the way they kept making sure my pregnant wife had water, did she want a chair, did she need more air, something to eat?

The wines happened to smell and taste very good also. My daughter had been in her mommy's tummy for about 6 months at that point. I like to think that she also tasted those wines, the lovely whites from Auxey-Duresses, the properly oily and nutty Meursaults, the pure and complex reds from Auxey-Duresses and Pommard. She tasted other wines on that trip too, but something about the Lafouges and their wines - for me it just stuck. 

I resolved to include Lafouge wine in the little collection of 2007 birth-year wines I would amass for my daughter. True, Auxey-Duresses is not the most illustrious Burgundy terroir, but it is not the only wine I've saved for her. And some wines you save because they are great wines, others you save because they have a special meaning. Lafouge Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru La Chapelle is an excellent Auxey-Duresses that for me has special meaning. I like the other wines by Lafouge too, the reds are all good, and the Meursault is actually among the best values that I know of in white Burgundy. But La Chapelle for whatever reason is the one I put in the cellar. In fact, it's the only Burgundy wine that I buy each and every year. I buy Burgundy differently now, getting far fewer bottles of higher quality. But I always get a few bottles of Lafouge La Chapelle. My younger daughter has a birth-year bottle of La Chapelle waiting for her too.

I just picked up the 2010's, a vintage of low yields and supposedly excellent quality. These, like most La Chapelle I own, are not birth-year bottles, and I have no idea when and how I will enjoy them. I'm excited...

5 comments:

keithlevenberg said...

Such a shame what they did to the labels, though...

Lars Carlberg said...

Although I've never tasted Lafouge, I was thinking the same thing about the labels.

Alex said...

Such a nice tradition for your family! I too will save special year bottles, and although I do not have children of my own I will drink them for special occasions that have resonance, like an anniversary bottle, or a particular vintage of a Rioja wine that I drink with a friend of mine to celebrate the anniversary of our completion of El Camino de Santiago. I have never tried Lafouge La Chappelle, but I will certainly try some soon! You mention that you buy Burgundy wines differently now - do you have other favorites to suggest? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My wife and i visited Lafouge 2 years ago and loved our experience as well. Great wine, great cellar and very friendly wine makers. It is nice to see others have experienced the same thing. I want to go back! Plus, just up the road Richard from JanotsBos winery makes great wine as well.

Anonymous said...

I hope the 2007 is wonderful in 2028 and you get to enjoy it with your daughter!