Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Two Great Tastings Coming Soon

In the next 10 days there are two tastings happening in Manhattan that I am excited about attending. The first focuses on an appellation that I have woefully little experience with, Chateauneuf du Pape.

It's happening this coming Saturday February 3rd, organized by the folks at Chambers Street Wines. The event is called Chateauneuf du Pape 2005 - A Preview Tasting, and it's hosted by Tribeca Grill, the trendy eatery owned in part by Robert De Niro. This tasting will feature the wines of at least 15 different vignerons, and six of them will be on hand, in person, to share thoughts about their wines. No wine will be available for sale at this event, which says to me that I can learn about wine and talk to the people who craft wine, as opposed to taste wine and feel pushed towards buying it.

And by the way, the tasting is free.

This link to Jancis Robinson's discussion of the 2004 vintage in the southern Rhone Valley, brought to my attention by our good wine friend Doktor Weingolb in beautiful Montreal, should be enough to whet anyone's appetite for tasting Chateauneuf du Pape wines. I am really excited to taste and broaden my understanding of these wines.

Then on Thursday February 8th comes the next Southeby's Pre-Auction tasting. These can be hectic, reminiscent of the running of the bulls in Pamplona - there is a general stampede when the doors open. The fuss this time, I am guessing, will be all about the Cheval Blanc. This tasting costs $75, but if you check out the list of bottles, you might agree that it's worth it, a steal even. So many mature wines that I would not otherwise have the oppotunity to experience.

You have exactly one hour to experience the wines, and there is exactly one bottle of each wine for the tasting. It's impossible to spend thoughtful time with each wine, better to scour the catalog and focus on a few regions. I've enjoyed these tremendously in the past, and my pal Deetrane and I will definitely be among those elbowing you out of the way near the mature Burgundies.

So if you're in town, come check it out.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Neil,

I was going to suggest this link but I see you found a better one anyway. (I don't even recall where I linked to these.)

Good luck at Sotheby's and my, it is very nice of you to share with others the news of a free event like Tribeca Grill on Saturday. More competition! I'd go if I could.

Brooklynguy said...

I always like sharing tastings - the more the merrier. I hope I can still go to Southeby's with the new baby and all. We'll see...