Everybody's favorite Doktor from Montreal was in New York City recently and he very kindly invited me to lunch. We went to Blau Gans, the Austrian place in TriBeCa that I've been meaning to try. Very tasty. I particularly enjoyed the Arctic Char garnished with pineapple (!), and the desserts were excellent.
What a treat it was to have lunch with Marcus! Such a lovely guy, and such an odd shift of medium, from internet personality to real life. Last time I met a couple of bloggers in person I treated you to a little quiz, asking you to pick what is true about them from a list.
So here is part deux of Wine Blogger's Gameshow. From the following list, see if you can determine what is true about Doktor Weingolb, and what is fabrication:
- The photo on Marcus' profile is actually a picture of his brother Martin, a Canadian soap opera (aspiring) actor.
- "Weingolb" as a name originates from a combination of "Wein," German for wine, and "golb," blog spelled backwards.
- Marcus arrived at the restaurant before I did, and when he stood up to shake my hand I noticed that he was barefoot. e said "we do this all the time in casual places in Montreal." I told him that the restaurant would not appreciate it if they saw this, and Marcus put his sandals back on.
- Marcus saw the Sonic Youth concert in Williamsburg while in New York.
- Marcus visited the Morgan Library while in New York.
- Marcus took a scenic tour of Brooklyn by public bus while in New York.
- Marcus spit every few sips of the red wine he was drinking back into his glass. "Makes it last longer," he explained.
- Marcus has a Burmese python, a unusual in that he rescued it from being euthanized after it killed a large dog. Its previous owners had abandoned it near the woods near Mont Royale.
- Marcus has a 9 bottle wine fridge at home - 9 bottles!
- Marcus has a 500 bottle wine fridge at home - 500 bottles!