Wednesday, December 12, 2007

WBW #40 - Petite Sirah

Sonadora is our host this month at WannabeWino, and she has selected Petite Sirah as the theme. This is a grape that I know almost nothing about. I've had wines made from Petite Sirah about four or five times, all quite a few years ago, and in my mind I lump them in with Zinfandel. Big, dark and spicy, structured, high alcohol, intense wines that are more common out on the west coast.

This is what I like about participating in Wine Blogging Wednesday, the online community tasting that Lenn organized over three years ago now. I am compelled to venture outside of my comfort zone, to buy wine I would never otherwise buy, and to taste this wine. I won't lie to you, friends, without WBW #40 as the impetus, it's a pretty safe bet that no Petite Sirah was going to cross my threshold anytime soon. Not cause I have something against it - I do not. I just tend to drink a lighter style of red wine.

Anyway...so how does a guy find a good bottle of a wine that he knows nothing about? In this case I asked Amy, the reliable wine buyer and manager at Prospect Wine Shop to select something for me. We've tasted enough together and talked about wine enough so that she has a a good idea about what I like. I did not specify a price or any other constraint. "Can you hook me up with a good Petite Sirah?" I simply said.

Amy picked out the 2006 Fleur North Coast Petite Sirah for $15. Although it is less expensive that some others she carries, including wines by David Bruce, she explained that this one is less oaky and actually tastes more like Petite Sirah. And the label says the alocohol level is 13.8%. I was worried about 15% or higher. Nice!

The wine was deep and dark, alright, and it had simple and clear blackberry and pepper aromas. Very juicy on the palate with lots of dark fruit and a slightly grippy and astringent finish, especially on the tip of the tongue. Leaves a nice dark fruit, maybe slightly tobacco-y flavor in the mouth. Certainly quite pleasant, and it went pretty well with the green split pea soup with smoked ham that we made for dinner.

So would I buy this again? No. There are just too many ways for me to spend $15 and emerge with wine that is more exciting to me. But I recognize that this is good wine, and if I find myself at a restaurant that offers nothing better, I would enjoy a glass with hearty food and be none the worse off for it. Overall, I think Jancis Robinson's description of Petite Sirah in the Oxford Companion Third Edition applies perfectly to this particular wine: "...dark, well balanced, sturdily tannic red wine of agreeable if not highly distinctive flavour." Thanks for the description, and for the "u" Jancis.

So that's it - another edition of WBW come and gone. Thanks Sonadora for hosting, and for picking an interesting theme.

10 comments:

Joe said...

I was wondering if you would participate - this seems like a grape that is so far from what you usually enjoy. There are so few here in town I may not get to it...

Brooklynguy said...

i hear you, but to me, the point is to participate, not the specific wine. If I add it up, I've probably spent a bunch of dough on wines I am not all that interested in for WBW, but so have most people I imagine.

Sonadora said...

Thanks for playing Neil! Glad you got one that you could at least appreciate, even though it's not your thing. WBW certainly gets me out of my comfort zone frequently, I've rarely been able to just pull a bottle from my basement, since the themes are so diverse!

RougeAndBlanc said...

Neil,
PS is a comfort wine. It is not to be analysed too deeply. Next time if you are having soul food at home, I beg you to give it a second chance.

Jeff said...

I also tend to go for lighter styled reds but like you, found one that I could at least appreciate as a good wine. I agree about the whole getting-out-of-my-comfort-zone thing as this was pretty far outside mine.

Brooklynguy said...

My pleasure Sonadora. I like to step out of the box every now and then.

I hear you Andrew, but I'm not even talking about analysis. I'm talking about gut levels of pleasure - I have more with other wines. But, if you insist...so be it. I'll read the round up carefully and try to pick one to taste again.

Hey Jeff - glad you came back for more WBW. Did I ever tell you how much I liked your post about driving your kid to the mall and the things you were thinking about during the trip?

Edward said...

I like adding unnecessary 'u's wherever I can, though I tend to refrain from exclamation marks!

Jeff said...

Thanks for the compliment on my post. Kids sure do change your life. Sometimes I feel like I'm learning more from them than they are from me.

Brooklynguy said...

Hi Edward - gooud to see you here in Broouklyn, I knouw its a loung trip. Thanks for stoupping by!!

Brooklynguy said...

whoops, and hey to you too Jeff. since mine is merely 10 months old, i can't yet say that i'm learning more from her yet. although she is a more than adept teacher of the art of spreading a thick and bumpy layer of food on her face, and also in the misunderstood art of soiling one's diaper.