Tuesday, July 08, 2008

300th Post and Some Big News

It has been such a pleasure to write this blog, mostly because of the community of wine people it has given me access to. Thank you so much for having me! Thank you so much for reading and participating!

300 posts - amazing, really. It's hard to find something meaningful to say, and there is no way that I've said something meaningful in each of 300 posts. A good percentage though, I hope, although some of you may disagree. But you'll politely keep that to yourself, I imagine.

So on this occasion I want to share some big news and also some random thoughts for the future of this blog.

My news - I am thrilled to tell you that BrooklynLady is pregnant! Our second child is due on December 31st. Surprised that we're having another? Yeah, I do gripe sometimes about the difficulties of being a parent, but my wife and daughter are the central joys in my life. And if you took part in making this amazing little creature (BrooklynBabyGirl at left, now a year and a half old), wouldn't you seriously consider making another one?

So that's the big news.

There have been many smaller pleasures lately too. Life is so much better for me when I can take pleasure in little things. Like this - the orange lily that looked ridiculously dead all winter just began to bloom. If I remember correctly, it will flower for only a few weeks, but it's a lovely sight every time we step out on the deck.

And this - I just enjoyed meeting a fellow blogger (McDuff's torso below and glasses of 1996 Champs, 05 Anjou, and 05 Oregon Pinot) and we had a great time over dinner and a few bottles. And unlike what usually happens when you invite someone you meet on the internet into your home, he didn't hog-tie me and commit all sorts of vulgar atrocities.

And this - I've been grilling up a storm, experimenting with hardwoods and herb smoke. Just take a peek at this fresh ham steak - isn't that nice? Some grilled onions and an olive oil/mustard/tarragon sauce...yes, that's the good stuff.

So what's in store for Brooklynguy's blog? Well, the recession is hitting me too, folks. I am not in the wine business. With incredibly few exceptions, I pay retail for all of the wine I drink. I have a second kid on the way and must be responsible. That means spending less money on wine. And experimenting less too, for the most part.

That means there will be fewer wine review posts here, unless you want to read about Puzelat and my other Loire friends over and over and over. I feel less inclined to describe wines I'm drinking, and more inclined to go deeper, to learn more. To visit regions, to drink and taste everything with local food, to develop a much deeper understanding, and then of course to share that with you. But I have another job and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. There's a piece of me that feels like this might be the natural time to hang up the gloves, so to speak.

Instead I will promise not to write unless I have something meaningful to say, but I will write less about the wines I'm drinking - I already wrote about them. So I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm not really sure what I will be writing about in the next few months. We'll find out together, should you continue to visit. Suggestions are most welcome.

18 comments:

David McDuff said...

300 posts, eh? I'm nearly there myself. No time to throw in the towel, my friend, though I can understand the reflecting and waxing philosophic.

The budgetary concerns are always tough but there's plenty more out there to explore. Maybe it's time to dig into Italy. Or Germany, as I expect you'll find plenty to love in Riesling.

You obviously love to cook. How about more about what you made, what you drank and why you put the two together? Local market reports, a little Brooklyn history... the possibilities are endless. Just keep it going!

Dr. Debs said...

Whatever you decide to do, it will be an adventure the rest of us will be happy to follow from the backseat! Meanwhile, congratulations to all of you on the most important creative project--the new baby.

Edward said...

Congratulations on the milestone and the impending arrival of another bundle of joy!

I think there is a time for every wine blogger when there are thoughts of living a more 'normal' blog free existence. Good luck as you grapple with the the future, and the things of primary importance.

Sonadora said...

Many congrats to you and BrooklynLady! What exciting news. However or whenever you decide to write again, I'll be here reading!

Joe said...

I don't recall any atrocities...I would congratulate you on the news, but I already knew ;) Cheers, and looking forward to more atrocities if it includes more delicious Bojo.

Vinotas said...

Congratulations to you and BrooklynLady!

Your work has been great and I hope you keep it up, even if at a slower pace.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

This is from the blogger babe that writes on at least 16 blogs, but my very fave is my "first" baby blog ... http://www.WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com ....
No matter what else I write I am obsessed with my first born and have to check it, tweak it and and send it on its way almost everyday.

Writing is a passion, just like good food and wine.

Keep up the good work Brooklynguy and say hi the to BrooklynLady and the BrooklynBG!

Denise

Anonymous said...

congrats neil!
keep blogging. no matter how many kids you have you will still find the budget for vino and we will always look forward to your posts whatever the content.

Marcus said...

Great news about you and BrooklynLady -- congratulations!

And good luck with any redirection you take the blog in. I've finally just figured that out for myself. No kids but a new schedule is one of the things that brought it on.

I will definitely stayed tuned.

Brooklynguy said...

thanks for all of these encouraging and energizing comments, y'all. i probably just needed to hear that it's okay for me to change gears a bit. we'll see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Come on, Brooklynguy... You write on wines and you translate your feelings and the aromas like few people do, and your Puzelat page is for me a way to vividly remember what I tasted, or to feel a different expression of a wine tasted in a different surrounding. These wines are alive and they need translator to bring them to the light.
Don't be tempted to hang up, describes other things in addition, but please keep speaking of the wines...

Anonymous said...

Best wishes and congratulations--though I guess it's your wife who takes the laboring oar from now through December! Yours is a unique and valuable voice for me, and I would hate to see it go. I echo the sentiments of those who have already checked in and hope you'll continue to enlighten us for a long time to come.

Do Bianchi said...

Mazel tov!

And congratulations on post 300. Keep 'em coming...

Wicker Parker said...

Congratulations! And enjoy, even if it means fewer wines...

I was actually going to suggest what you ended up doing on the next post, which is to focus on food, then follow it up with the wine pairing... or not. Though it seems McDuff also beat me to the punch on that suggestion as well.

Lyle Fass said...

300 posts! Rookie!

Congrats on the Brooklyngirl/boy!

Lyle Fass said...

Hey Neil,

Lets go to Germany next August!

You just need to drive as I don't have my license.

But I can get the ROYAL treatment. Trust me on that.

David McDuff said...

I can't believe I wrote that entire blithering comment and neglected to offer my congratulations and warmest wishes on the news of a new addition to your family. Like Joe, I had a little advance notice. But that hardly excuses my oversight. So congrats, to both you and the lovely Brooklynlady! (Yes, you even get an exclamation point.)

Brooklynguy said...

thanks again for the encouraging words, when folks like you tell me to keep going it means a lot.

you should be careful lyle - yu can't put something like that out there and not expect follow up. not sure how the wife would take it, but it's worth a shot.