Monday, November 24, 2008

Best Wishes to Joe Dressner

I have to share some distressing news with you. Will you join me in sending your most earnest get-well-soon vibes to Joe Dressner, wine importer extraordinare, who recently discovered that he has a brain tumor. Joe, as most of you know, has spent the past 20 years paving the natural wine road from France to America. His wines are wonderful, and are treated with minimal sulfur. Some say Joe's personality could use a little sulfur treatment, just to kill unwanted microbes. I disagree - I think he just gets frustrated with how backwards and ridiculous everything can be. In any case, he's not really sure yet how serious this is, but he's handling it so far as you would expect - with humor, and dark humor at that. I want to take this moment to send my best wishes to you Joe for a comfortable and speedy recovery.

5 comments:

Do Bianchi said...

I've never met Joe but I've enjoyed a lot of his wines and he's played an important role in so many of my (and our) friends lives...

he'll be in my thoughts...

Debra Morgan said...

I've never met Joe, either, but have had many lick-smacking bottles he's imported. I respect his individuality and spirit and have enjoyed sneaking into many of his trade tastings once I left retail/rest. to work for a distributor. Joe--sorry to crash your parties, but the wine was too good to pass up. I promise to repent and only sneak into one tasting a year from now on. And to continue to seek the Dressner name on the back label when buying. Warm wishes to a fabulous importer who has made an indelible mark upon me. See you soon, I'm the one in the wig and the moustache--genevelyn

Anonymous said...

I met Joe at a tasting at CSW once and found him perfectly charming. I am a huge fan of his wines and I really wish him well. Get better, Joe!

Anonymous said...

I've met Joe Dressner at tastings in San Francisco, have read many of his online postings (and chuckled at more than a few of his jokes), love the wines he imports, and admire his accomplishments. I've heard that the diagnosis was not what he would have wanted it to be, but know nothing about his prognosis, which I really hope is favorable.

Anonymous said...

Any news on Dressner's condition?