Friday, December 05, 2008

Back from France

The good news is that BrooklynLady is completely fine, feeling much better. No baby yet, and hopefully not for at least another week - she's not due until December 31st, after all. The other good news is that I had the wine-trip of my life with Peter and Tista over the past few days in Burgundy. Days full of some of the most incredible wines that Burgundy has to offer, eating, poking around the most hallowed of dark cellars, drinking more wine. You get the picture. Many stories to share - something I will do here in the coming days, as family time here allows. The bad news is that I decided to return to NYC before the Champagne leg of my trip. But that's easy - I'll go back another time. Also, no Friday Night Bubbles today.

A few photos to whet your appetite:

Moldy bottles in Christophe Roumier's cellar. The chalkboard indicates the wines - can you tell what they are?
Fallen soldiers - after dinner empties at Domaine de L'Arlot.

Brooklynguy under Rousseau's giant grape vine.
Gevrey Chambertin vines - villages in the foreground, bits of what I think are Lavaux and Clos St. Jacques visible on the slope. Unless I'm wrong. Might be something else entirely.
Peter Liem and Dujac Clos de la Roche, 2:30 AM.

10 comments:

David McDuff said...

Hey BG,
Welcome back. Sorry to hear you had to cut the trip short but family always takes precedent. Glad to hear BLady's doing ok and looking forward to your trip reports.
cheers,
DMcD

Anonymous said...

Welcome back . . . glad to hear BL is doing ok . . . looking forward to the full report . . . looks like you've learned how to tie a scarf like a true Frenchman. . . .

Anonymous said...

Roumier this, ok, pal?

Anonymous said...

Um, 1996 Chambolle Musigny 'Les Cras' in back and 1998 Ruchottes-Chambertin in front? Not sure what the 53m and 23m refer to.

Sounds as though there was some unanticipated family drama while you were away, but that everything turned out fine. Glad to hear that. Good news seems in short supply these days. Perhaps Brooklynlady will be able to join you for that trip to Champagne. (So how did that Muscadet piece get posted while you were away??)

Brooklynguy said...

Thanks David and Asher. Reports coming soon (and my wife taught me that scarf tie before we went to France in 06).

Steve - exactamundo on the wines, although i think it's 1992 ruchottes, not 98. and there are 53 magnums in the pile of the Cras, and 23 magnums of the ruchottes. sick, no?

Do Bianchi said...

geeked for your posts and glad brooklynlady is doing well...

jayne and jon say hello...

Brooklynguy said...

Steve - the wine dinner post and the muscadet post were posted before I left but scheduled for future dates, for your reading pleasure. the things i do for my readers...

hey Jeremy - so glad that you'll be reading, and please say hi to them from us.

Vinogirl said...

Ahhh!!!! A night late for Friday night bubbles (two days of activity with winery co-workers...I'm pooped). Good post nonetheless...AND...Brooklynguy is CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I think I took that photo of Peter, and I'm now remembering that I was a tad trigger happy with your camera, sorry...
Glad your child is safe in the womb.
I look forward to a future meeting on your side of the Atlantic.

Brooklynguy said...

Tista!!! sorry it took so long for me to reply to this. can't wait til you come for a visit. hope all is well - neil