Wednesday, March 07, 2012

The Worst Wine and Food Pairing in History?

Got home late at night from a business trip. Tired, malnourished, mal-slept, dirty from airplanes. Hungry, very hungry, and thirsty too.

In the fridge - leftover spaghetti and meatballs. I made this, but it was four days earlier. Still pretty good. Served with the final third of a 375 ml bottle of 2003 Chateau Rieussec. This was opened three days earlier when a friend brought it over for dinner, and since then it sat in the door of the fridge, uncorked.

That's right...spaghetti with meatballs and Sauternes. Perhaps the worst wine and food pairing in history. If you think you can do better, let's hear it.

Probably the spaghetti would have benefited from being warmed up.

6 comments:

Alfonso Cevola said...

road warrior!

Sharon said...

One Christmas Eve, my ex-bf and I were invited to dinner at his aunt's house in Tours. He said he would bring all the wine for a table of eight.

Somehow he forgot that she'd told him the meal would consist solely of shellfish platters.

He brought all Chinon.

TWG said...

Well I hope I never do better.

Anonymous said...

An interesting question would be: faced with this combination (although no one made you drink the Rieussec with it!), is there anything you could have thrown into the sp. & mb or served on the side that would have at least transitioned the flavors somewhat? Sweet peppers or something?

Anonymous said...

honey baked ham?

Asher said...

Early in my wine drinking days, I used to pair spicy Indian food with high alcohol California Zinfandel. Forgive me, father, for I have Zined . . .