Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What I'm Bringing to Thanksgiving Dinner

I'm kind of behind on posting these days. I never even did one of those Thanksgiving Wines posts. And I know that you must be wringing your hands and tearing out your hair - 'what wines will I bring to Thanksgiving dinner? Brooklynguy abandoned me in my moment of need...' Um hmm.

You already know by now what you're bringing for Thanksgiving dinner, so stop trying to make me feel guilty. Here's what I'm bringing:

Sparkling:

Eric Bordelet Poire Authentique, about $12 - a sparkling pear cider made of biodynamically farmed fruit from northwest France. At only 4% alcohol, I can drink a few glasses over a few hours, feel festive, and safely drive home with my family in the car. Heck, I can even refill my aunt's glass, and she's 80.

2005 Bisol Prosecco di Valdobiaddene Crede Brut, about $15 - the best Prosecco I know of. It's fresh and crisp and easy to drink, and it has some nice complex aromatic notes too, especially with about 15 minutes of air time. Ripe tasty fruit and a hint of ginger-spice on the palate. This one is 11.5% alcohol, so it won't knock them over when they like it enough to have another glass.

White:

2006 Domaine du Salvard Cheverny, about $14 - this is one of my favorite whites this season, and I think it should pair well with turkey and all that. It's a blend of about 85%-15% Sauvignon Blanc to Chardonnay, and it's lip smackingly good. It's over 13% alcohol though, so watch it...

Red:

2005 Chateau de Hureau Saumur-Champigny Grande Cuveé, about $14 - this is among the better under $15 Loire Cab Francs of the season, in my opinion. Very different style from a young Chinon, this one has tobacco and lots of earth to compliment the fresh red fruit. I've made my way through a half case of this little gem in the past 8 months, and now my family will do the same on one special Thursday afternoon (if I'm lucky).

By the way, this particular wine is one of the two Loire Valley wines I picked for Domaine 547's blogger's wine pack project. So if you're curious to taste this but can't find it near you, they'll ship it to your door.

What I'm most excited about bringing, though, and what I'm most thankful for, is the little 10 month old BrooklynBabyGirl. That's what everyone in the family is most excited about this Thanksgiving.

I wish you a healthy and a happy one, or at least an easy one, and a quick and safe return to normal life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shout out Neil! And congrats on Thanksgiving number 1 for BrooklynBabyGirl.

we just got in the Bordelet Sidre Brut last week, do you think that this would be good as good for the holidays as the Poire?

Anonymous said...

Eric Bordelet Poire Authentique is an excellent choice - one I'd be pouring if I had a bottle. (I'm pouring an Italian Malvasia Dolce this year.)

Jill - the Sidre choice is great, too.

RougeAndBlanc said...

Nice. A red, a white, a bubbly and a cider - complete rounds of drinks. No sauterne or port for after dinner sips?
Happy Thanksgiving.

Brooklynguy said...

hey jill - i agree with jack, they're both good. i've never tasted the granit, the more expensive pear cider. very curious though.

jack - you pour that as an aperitif or after dinner? sounds really nice.

nope Andrew, the family probably couldn't handle that much booze, to tell the truth. happy TG to you too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it will be great meal. The wines your bringing sounds great

Brooklynguy said...

thanks zach, happy TG

Joe said...

Hi Neil - I finally wrote that Chevery up with a good pairing - thanks for putting me onto that one.